Saturday 19 November 2011

Do the cooking smells reveal what day it is?

I was interested to read about the opening of the new Downies of Whitehills fresh fish counter at Mitchells and it brought back fond memories of a smoked fish dish my mother used to make using milk... I must ask he about that although, the chances of Marion replicating it are as remote as me catching a smoked salmon in my bath!

Whilst thinking about this I remembered that the fish dish was always served on the same day of the week; no, not for any religious reasons, it's just that every dish had its day and there didn't seem to be any room for deviation from this routine. So, Liver and Onions, Mince and Tatties, Casserole, Fish, Shepherd's Pie, Beef Olives (Mmm, one of my favourites) etc. etc. had a specific day spread around a two week rotation. I wonder if this was the norm back in the 60's and 70's?

I'm also reminded that the meal was served at 6pm every night, if you didn't get in until 6.30 it was there cold on the table waiting for you - but you ate it! Nowadays, our kids not only eat at different times, they eat different meals; our Rugby playing son likes pasta dishes, the other son like fast food because he's always "just heading out" and, our daughter eats according to what's left of her calorie count for the day.

I would be interested to know if anyone else thinks our eating habits have changed over the years and, do your kid's think of eating as a necessary evil rather than a time for the family to engage and enjoy each others company?

Please post your comments here or on the Facebook page, I would like to know if I'm alone - both at the table and, in relation to my family's eating habits!

If you have found this post interesting please use the "Share" buttons below to tell your online community about it, there's a good chance they will find it interesting too. Thank you.



You can also follow Mitchells on Facebook - please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment